The Pied Piper Fantasy
by John Corigliano
This 40-minute concerto for flute and orchestra, by the Pulitzer Prize-winning composer John Corigliano, is an interactive fairy tale. A young musician uses his artistic powers to cleanse the city of rats – but, after many years of living with corruption, the city's residents cannot so easily rid themselves of their bad habits of lies and greed. The children's pure souls are attracted to the truth and harmony which the musician brings into their lives. Unless the adults also get the message, all of their futures might be in peril...
"A dynamic show... The soloist's virtuosic passages were so
atmospheric and effortless that one kept wondering
whether his flute was truly magical!"
(Kultura weekly newspaper, January 2004)
The Russian National Orchestra offers an enchanting new production of The Pied Piper Fantasy – ideal for children's and family concerts. The RNO production includes:
- Sets created by the RNO [more info]
- central canvas: 8 m high, 6 m, 30 cm wide (15 kg)
- two wings: 8 m high, 2 m 50 cm wide each (8 kg each)
- height and width of the sets may be altered to meet the specifications of the stage
- Costumes [more info]
- soloist's cape
- feathered caps for soloist and concertmaster
- rat's head with crown for concertmaster
- rat headdresses for the string players
- burghers' berets for the wind instruments and for the children's ensemble caps for the child flutists
- Flute soloist Maxim Rubtsov, RNO Principal Flute. According to John Corigliano, he is "the perfect Pied Piper..." [full quote]
- Conductor: Available upon request [more info]
- Text [more info]
"Maxim Rubtsov is the perfect Pied Piper. He has both the charm and excitement that a great performer must have, and in this piece his extraordinary musicianship and perfect technique combine with his youth and enthusiasm and result in a magnificent performance."
The RNO can provide a conductor experienced in directing this production upon request.
The RNO has commissioned and developed text to accompany the original music and staging.
The local orchestra supplies:
- Musicians [more info]
- Instrumentation: 2(=3)(pic).3.3(Ebcl,bcl)3(cbn)/4331/timp.5(=6)perc/hp.pf(cel)/str
- Children's Ensemble[more info]
- A minimum of 12 child flutists and 2 drummers
- Narrator [more info]
- Lighting [more info]
- General Lighting Fade-in / Fade out
- Music stand lights (optional)
The production can be performed with or without a narrator.
The Russian National Orchestra's most recent production for children and families was Wolf Tracks, directed by Kent Nagano and recorded with narration by Bill Clinton, Sophia Loren and Mikhail Gorbachev. The recording received a 2004 GRAMMY Award, making the RNO the first Russian orchestra ever to win a GRAMMY.
For information about staging this production, please contact the RNO by or phone (+1-802-223-4955).